Summer tomatoes are much more than slices on a sandwich. Since homegrown tomatoes are so much sweeter than their grocery store counterparts, put their flavor to good use in recipes that make them the star of the meal.
Tomato recipe ideas:
- Heirloom tomatoes are colorful and make a beautiful addition to the plate. Try an heirloom tomato pie, a quiche-like dish with heirloom tomatoes, eggs and cheese.
- Tomato jam offers a fresh and exciting alternative to ketchup for all your condiment needs.
- Fill hollowed-out tomatoes with chicken salad, tuna salad, rice or couscous for a simple and elegant lunch dish.
- Make fresh salsa or pico de gallo. For something totally different, make watermelon and tomato salsa using two of your garden’s summertime yields.
- Jersey tomatoes are known as the sweetest varieties available. Show off their flavor in simple salads that put the tomato’s sweetness up front.